Wednesday 1 September 2010

Two wheels - but no motor!

It's been a while since I last updated my blog- but we're back to work after the sumer recess - and I have a new mode of transport for the month of September!

For some time now I have been trying to get a better bus service for Caldectote where I live. For those who are fit, healthy, energetic and able to walk a mile or two to the top of the village, there is the Citi 4 service in to the City. However, if you have to walk more than a mile (and many in the heart of the village do) it's not really accessible. There is a bus service through the village but it's once a day just after 07:00 a.m - not really that conveniant.

So I've put my money where my mouth is and parked my car and motorcycle for the month and I'm using feet, bicycle, bus and train to get about. I may also have the odd car pooling lift if I can't find another way to get to meetings.

Today I've cycled 18 miles - home to Shire Hall - Shire Hall in to the City - and then back again.

I'm shattered but I have a long list of cycle lane lines that need repainting and brambles that need cutting back. As the weeks go on I hope to blog how I get on getting to places under my own steam. It's not going to be easy but I hope it will highlight the problems that those reliant on public transport face.

And the money? Well I'm donating the money I would have put in my petrol tank to the Outlook Fund - www.outlookfund.com for looked after children in Cambridgeshire. Hopefully a win win situation as I raise money for a good cause and get fit in the process.

No comments: