Friday 12 June 2009

A week away from the Blog!

It’s been a busy week – euphoria after the group’s wins last Friday have settled down (not worn off!) and now it’s back to business as usual.

Having been on probation for this job for the last 6 months it’s wonderful to know that I now have 4 years to get things done. Top of the list on an ongoing basis are:

- Rural Buses
- Potholes/Pavements
- Services for the elderly

But I’m adding to it on a daily basis! We all know that the coming years on the Council are going to be hard in terms of available funding – but the key is making sure that what is spent, is spent wisely. No waste on grandiose schemes when there is no funding for the basic ones.

My other continuing goal is to be as accessible as possible to the electorate. The election flagged up loud and clear how some local politicians only knock on doors when they want a vote. I need to get the message out to those who haven’t had it yet that we put out a Focus leaflet every 2 – 3 months detailing what we’ve been up to. I have email, a website and this blog. Mobile and home phone numbers get me – and I’ll try to arrange regular constituency surgeries from now.

The bottom line is that if people don’t tell me they have a problem, it’s hard to fix it.

No comments: